Beautifying Your Financial Picture

Don't Let Them Languish: 4 Steps to Take to Get Your Spouse Out of Jail

by Darryl Nguyen

Dealing with the arrest of a spouse can be stressful, especially where police custody is concerned. If your spouse has been arrested, you need to take action as quickly as possible. Unless your spouse is released on their own recognizance, they won't be leaving police custody on their own. You don't want your spouse to languish in jail while their case makes its way through the system. Due to the current pandemic, courts are backlogged, which means it could take months before your spouse's case makes it to trial.

Luckily, there are some steps you can take to help get your spouse out of police custody. Here are four of those steps.

Request Bail Reduction

If bail has been set for your spouse, but you can't afford to pay cash for it, the best thing you can do is have the attorney request a bail reduction. If the judge agrees to the request, bail will be reduced. In some cases, bail can be reduced to a more affordable amount. If that happens, you may be able to obtain a cash bail release, which will allow your spouse to leave police custody right away. 

Take Out a Personal Loan

If you've been able to come up with some of the bail money, but you're still short, you can talk to your bank. They may be willing to give you a personal loan to cover your spouse's bail. If credit is a stumbling block to obtaining a bank-funded personal loan, there are other options available to you. For instance, if you own your car, you can take out a title loan. One of the benefits of taking out a loan is that you can continue to make payments on the outstanding balance while your spouse's case proceeds through the court system. 

Apply for Charity Assistance

If you're unable to come up with the money you need for your spouse's bail release, and you have a limited income, reach out to a local charity. Many charity organizations will help your spouse secure a bail release. These charity organizations work with low-income families who can't afford to pay the high costs associated with some criminal offenses. 

Contact a Bail Bondsman

Finally, if you're still unable to secure a bail release for your spouse, it's time to contact a bail bonds agency in your area. There are actually several benefits to working with a licensed bail bond agency. First, they'll alleviate the stress that's involved in securing a bail bond release for your spouse. Second, they'll answer any questions you might have about the process. Third, you won't need to pay the full amount of the bail to secure a bond. Finally, they can assist if your spouse is being detained in another state.